High Blood Pressure and Baldness

Discussions about the most common form of male hair loss - androgenetic alopecia
galeaoman

Re: High Blood Pressure and Baldness

Post by galeaoman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:34 am

Stiffness and immobility is also a form of mechanical stress. An aging scalp would become stiff and inelastic. Arthritis of the galea. Senescence is another word for aging. A balding scalp has accelerated aging. It is interesting that senescence could be a form of antagonistic pleiotropy...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antagonis ... hypothesis

The antagonistic pleiotropy hypothesis was first proposed by George C. Williams in 1957 as an evolutionary explanation for senescence. Pleiotropy is the phenomenon where one gene controls for more than one phenotypic trait in an organism. Antagonistic pleiotropy is when one gene controls for more than one trait where at least one of these traits is beneficial to the organism's fitness and at least one is detrimental to the organism's fitness. The theme of G.C. William's idea about antagonistic pleiotropy was that if a gene caused both increased reproduction in early life and aging in later life, then senescence would be adaptive in evolution. For example, one study suggests that since follicular depletion in human females causes both more regular cycles in early life and loss of fertility later in life through menopause, it can be selected for by having its early benefits outweigh its late costs.
End of aging = End of male pattern balding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJGppi9hBtQ

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:10 am

Senescent thinning or senescent (senile) alopecia is a category of hair loss. This is a paragraph that Kevin McElwee wrote about it. Two items are interesting: Stem cell depletion and stem cells becoming "worn Out." After 10 or 15 hair cycles the bulge area of the hair follicle might not produce any more stem cells or may produce just worn out stem cells, if there is such a thing.
Senescent or senile alopecia is a unique alopecia that displays a very slow rate of progression. The afflicted group is usually elderly people (in their 70s and 80s) and is characterized by diffuse thinning of the scalp hair. The condition shows no signs of scalp dermatitis or inflammation of the skin. Biopsy tests show many empty fibrous tracts and minimal perifollicular inflammation. It is not clear whether senescent alopecia involves androgen hormones or not. However, it is generally regarded as a form of hair loss that is distinct from common androgenetic alopecia. Stem cell depletion (resulting from inflammation) is believed to be the causal factor. It may be that senescent alopecia is simply an example of the hair follicle stem cells becoming “worn out” with age and less capable of multiplying, forming a hair follicle, and producing hair fiber as they once did.
In the paragraph you linked to under your message is this: "follicular depletion in human females..."

As you probably know that follicle here refers to a vesicle in a woman's ovary that contains a developing egg; it does not refer to a hair follicle.

Aubrey de Grey might have some brilliant things to say, but I can't watch him because of his way of speaking and the way he looks. That monster beard makes me ask why. I did watch a little bit of his YouTube video though. He makes some good points.

Why does a person cultivate a foot-long beard or scalp hair down to their waist. What do they think when they look in the mirror in the morning. The styling must take a lot of time - time that could be used in a productive way like playing Scrabble. ☺
Attachments
Aubrey de Grey.png
Give me a break!
Aubrey de Grey.png (61.43 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

galeaoman

Post by galeaoman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:14 pm

Aubrey De Grey probably needs a lot of shampoo. :D

Maybe he stands out in the crowd by cultivating the persona of an eccentric scientist with long hair and flowing beard, on a mission to end aging.

Seven causes of physical aging...

http://www.sens.org/research/introducti ... s-research

The Targets

Decades of research in aging people and experimental animals has established that there are no more than seven major classes of such cellular and molecular damage, shown in the table below. We can be confident that this list is complete, first and foremost because of the fact that scientists have not discovered any new kinds of aging damage in nearly a generation of research, despite the increasing number of centers and scientists dedicated to studying the matter, and the use of increasingly powerful tools to examine the aging body. In its own way, each of these kinds of damage make our bodies frail, and contribute to the rising frailty and ill-health that appears in our sixth decade of life and accelerates thereafter.

Aging Damage_____________Year Discovered________Rejuvenation Biotechnology

Cell loss, tissue atrophy_____________1955____________Stem cells and tissue engineering

Cancerous cells____________________1959, 1982_______Removal of telomere-lengthening machinery

Mitochondrial mutations_____________1972____________Allotopic expression of 13 proteins

Death-resistant cells________________1965____________Targeted ablation

Extracellular matrix stiffening________1958, 1981_______ AGE-breaking molecules; tissue engineering

Extracellular aggregates_____________1907_____________Immunotherapeutic clearance

Intracellular aggregates______________1959_____________Novel lysosomal hydrolases
Stem cells get old too...

http://sage.buckinstitute.org/stem-cells-get-old-too/

Ray Kurzweil, another promising eccentric scientist(futurist) says that adult cells can be transformed to embryonic stem cells in order to rejuvenate tissues and organs...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/10/business/ ... uman-life/

Stem cell therapies, including the recently developed method to create "induced pluripotent cells" (IPCs) by adding four genes to your own skin cells to create the equivalent of an embryonic stem cell but without use of an embryo, are being developed to rejuvenate organs and even grow then from scratch.

The scalp gets thin with age...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2X15481540

The authors studied the thickness of the layers in both normal and bald scalps to determine the effect of aging on baldness. In non-bald subjects, 1) each scalp layer changes with aging; 2) the most noticeable changes are in the layers that contain hair; 3) the condition of the galea is influenced by aging. In bald subjects, 1) in early male pattern alopecia no changes occur in scalp thickness; 2) in advanced baldness, all skin layers except the galea exhibit definite thinning.

galeaoman

Post by galeaoman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:20 am

I do not know if it can help to regrow hair but eating a whole foods plant based diet helped to lower my blood pressure and I was able to get off the blood pressure medication. Today my blood pressure is 115/75 and I feel much better. I think exercises like waking must have also helped :D

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:09 am

Galeaoman, I read through the article from Science Direct that you linked to. The article titled The Thickness of Human Scalp: Normal and Bald, even though written in 1971, makes some physiological points that are significant. Here is one of them:

"In initial MPA [male pattern baldness], no statistically significant variations in scalp layers were observed. In advanced MPA, a definite decrease in the values of epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis brought the thickness of each layer significantly lower than those in normal subjects, i.e. from about 24% to 44%. The galea capitis, did not reveal any change in thickness."

The subcutaneous layer, which the authors of the study call the hypodermis, is where the bulk of the capillaries that nourish the hair follicles reside. When this layer becomes thin, capillary nourishment to the base of the hair follicles is diminished. Keeping the subcutaneous layer healthy is important for maintaining terminal follicles as a person grows older.

The study also says that scalp thickness remains about the same as women age. I wonder what causes this difference. Older women do usually have thicker hair - like Angie Dickinson - than men of the same age.

Thanks for finding and posting the link to this article.
Attachments
Angie Dickenson.jpg
I went to high school with Angie D.
Angie Dickenson.jpg (5.2 KiB) Viewed 5191 times

mariobryant

Post by mariobryant » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:20 am

I have been on lisinopril for quite some time. At 10 mg daily, I had no problem, but recently it was upped to 20 mg and I'm experiencing a great deal of hair loss. So glad to find this message board. I will be talking to my doctor.
Be careful with your thoughts – they are the beginning of deeds!

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Is there any chance you can get your high blood pressure under control with diet or exercise? I know some people who have done that. It takes dedication and will power though. What is the cause of your high blood pressure? Is it genetic or are you involved in day trading on wall street?
Attachments
Wall Street Day Trader.jpg
Blood pressure through the roof!
Wall Street Day Trader.jpg (3.37 KiB) Viewed 5136 times

galeaoman

Post by galeaoman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:14 am

Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn recommends a whole foods plant based diet and in some cases atherosclerosis is reversed...

http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnDrjY2EgnQ

Reverse aging and possibly reverse balding ... :)

Dutch scientists have announced a new drug treatment able to reverse aspects of aging in old mice – restoring their stamina, coat of fur and even some organ function – by flushing out "senescent" cells in the body that have stopped dividing. Human trials are now planned.

http://www.futuretimeline.net/blog/2017 ... NdlQFUrLIU

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:38 am

I just watched the entire 41-minute video hosted by Sanjay Gupta. My take is that a good diet, mostly a plant-based diet, can almost eliminate the risk of a heart attack. After watching the documentary I have a new resolve to eat only nutritious foods and stay away from junk food. I do mostly this now but I'm going to become even more strict.

The one thing that I question, though, is the elimination of plain low fat yogurt with live and active cultures. Dr. Esselstyn recommends not eating any milk-based product. This restriction seems a little harsh. The restriction of good lean meat seems a little harsh too. Cutting way back on milk, eggs, and meat is probably wise. But eliminating them completely might be sacrificing some essential nutrients.

What do you think about this complete elimination of dairy and meat from the diet?

By the way, when I was a little boy I used to live in Lyndhurst, Ohio, where Dr. Esselstyn has his Wellness Institute. And I used to ride my bicycle on Richmond Road - good memories about happy days.

galeaoman

Post by galeaoman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:31 am

Tom Hagerty wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:38 am

What do you think about this complete elimination of dairy and meat from the diet?
Dairy has the protein casein which is reported to be carcinogenic and dairy also has casomorphins. Some articles report that cheese can be addictive ... :shock:

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-h ... ur-health/
Dr. T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study, says through his studies he has found casein to be the most relevant cancer promoter ever discovered. Because casein digests so slowly, natural morphine-like substances in casein known as casomorphins, act like opiates in the body as they enter the bloodstream. Just minutes after you eat a dairy-based food, the casein protein begins to break down. This releases the drug-like casomorphins, which attach to opiate receptors in the brain, and cause severe addictions to dairy products (hence the reason they keep people coming back for more.) Casomorphins trigger such an addictive response that they’ve been compared to heroine in terms of their strength to cause food addictions and mood disorders.

Casein’s slow digestion rate also puts great strain on the digestive system. Dr. Frank Lipman (an Integrative and Functional Medical expert), explains that the body has an extremely difficult time breaking down casein. Dr. Lipman says that common symptoms of dairy sensitivity due to casein are: excess mucus production, respiratory problems and digestive problems like constipation, gas, bloating, and/or diarrhea.

If you still think a harmless glass of milk, a cup of yogurt, or a small serving of cheese isn’t potentially dangerous, think again. Dr. Neal Barnard, M.D. (founder of the Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine, a.k.a PCRM) found that in various studies, when dairy products were removed from the diet, cheese was the hardest food for people to give up. Dr. Barnard credits this finding to cheese being the most concentrated source of casein of all dairy products. PCRM has also discovered that milk actually contains morphine, which can clearly be seen when milk is inspected under a microscope. Morphine is not added to cow’s milk; cows actually produce these opiate-like chemicals on their own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udAYXxczdyk

http://nutritionfacts.org/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/china-s ... iac-death/

My new years resolution for 2017 was to just eat plant foods, no meat and no dairy. No animal products and see what happens; so far so good. :D